Wednesday 28 September 2016

halacha - May one set posts for Shabbos?



Tumblr has a feature where one can, instead of posting something at the time it it written or a set time, you can add it to a "queue". It will then post a set amount of posts per day as long as there are still left in the queue. My question is, may I use this feature over Shabbos?


There were the arguments I had why it would be allowed:



  • I'm not doing anything on Shabbos

  • It's hosted on their servers

  • There isn't a specific post set to post on Shabbos, it will just post the top one or however many you choose in the queue (I think this one is a weak defence)

  • There's not much difference whether Tumblr has to serve up my old post or serve up the new posts


The only problem I thought there might be was maris ayin, which might only apply if the blog was clearly identified as Jewish. Even then, many people know about this feature and might not assume that I am composing these posts on Shabbos. Am I correct in my analysis?


I guess I should link to this similiar question:



May one use a computer script or robot to do something specifically on Shabbos/Yom Tov?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...