Monday 19 September 2016

tefilla - Why am I always the last person to finish davening Al Cheit?



On Yom Kippur, I daven as fast as I possibly can--reading everything in my native language, and with far more speed than kavana--because I know I will have this problem. And yet I still have the problem, every year, without fail:


In the shul of 150-250 people, I am always the dead last person to finish Al Cheit. And I don't finish "almost" on time. I am usually still standing for a good two or three extra minutes after everyone else has been seated.


It's embarrassing, but I am willing to deal with that aspect. The main thing is that I don't understand why this happens. (I don't know for sure if it happens with other davening, because I don't daven in shul a lot. When I do, I still finish last, but I guess it is either less conspicuous or less of a problem than Yom Kippur.)


So, why does this happen to me with Al Cheit?



  • Does the English take longer?


  • Does everyone else have it memorized?

  • Does everyone else skip? (I assume the chazzan doesn't skip...)


Related: Keeping up with fast davening




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...