Thursday 22 September 2016

grammar - is suki an adjective and a verb?


I thought that "suki" was a verb which meant "to like". It is hard to me to make sense why it seems to be always used with "desu".


Now in a webpage I read that suki is an adjective, which means something like "liked" like some sort of passive voice I guess? That's why it uses the verb desu almost always I supposed. But I also see in another webpage that suki is a verb with all its conjugations.


The question is, is it suki an adjective, a verb, or both, and if it's also a verb, when it's used like a verb with its respective conjugations and without desu? (Assuming it can be used without desu.)




Answer



好き suki is a difficult word.


What is clear is that it derives from the verb 好く suku, which is still in use (most often in the passive voice: 好かれる "to be liked").


However, like the 連用形 ren'yōkei "masu-stem" of so many other verbs, it took on a life of its own, primarily as what is quite naturally analyzed as 形容動詞 keiyōdōshi "na-adjective".


Hence we have





  1. 〇〇が好きです
    〇〇 ga suki desu

    cf. 〇〇がきれいです




  2. 好き〇〇
    suki na 〇〇
    cf. きれい〇〇





A literal translation might be "X is likeable/nice", which equates to "I like X".





Note that 嫌い kirai (from 嫌う kirau, also often seen in the passive 嫌われる) works almost exactly the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...