Monday 19 September 2016

Understanding the particle や in the phrase "今や"


(Moved from Insertion of "y" sound between vowels since it appeared to be unrelated.)


In the following quote:



私の世界へようこそ。 今やこの世界をコントロールできる唯一の人間だ。




What is the function of the particle here? I see a definition for 今や in edict:



now (esp. in contrast to the past); now at last; at present; right now



I don't understand how figures into this, though. I would have expected 今は. Is there any way to understand the function of here, or should I memorize 今や as a set phrase?



Answer



Goo lists this や as being a 強意の間投助詞, i.e. an interjectory particle used for emphasis.


That would be definition 4-2 here, where it also mentions またもや


I don't think this や is really productive anymore, so I would memorize 今や as a word/an expression by itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...