Tuesday 27 September 2016

inorganic chemistry - Why do silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide react to produce silver(I) oxide?


I did an experiment in class combining the aqueous solutions of $\ce{AgNO3}$ and $\ce{NaOH}$. I predicted that $\ce{AgOH}$ would form but it didn't, instead a brown precipitate. I found out it was silver oxide. But why does this happen?



I researched and found out that silver is a noble metal and is thus resistant to oxidation, so why is it oxidised in this case?


Also why is $\ce{AgOH}$ not formed? I looked at the reactivity series and apparently silver can't displace $\ce{H+}$ ions out of solution, is that why?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...