Thursday 22 September 2016

everyday chemistry - Does water have a smell?


I was washing my cup with hot water (without soap) and upon it nearing my nose, there was some sort of 'smell' (I lack a better word)-


However the 'smell' was different compared to when I was drinking just plain cold water.


So my question is, does water have a smell?



Answer



Water in its pure form, i.e. $\ce{H2O}$ does not have a smell, or at least no smell that we can distinguish because the receptors in our nose (and mouth) are continuously exposed to it.


What you smell are dissolved gases and other volatile impurities. The nature of these chemicals will vary mainly by location/source of the water, and might also be a bit influenced by your specific local plumbing.


For example, in Iceland near Myvatn there is a lot of volcanic activity and the water from the tap (in particular the warm water because it can dissolve more) smells like rotten eggs due to the sulfur. Another example is that in many countries the water will smell a bit like chlorine, because chlorine is used to keep the water safe to drink (kills germs).



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...