Saturday 5 September 2015

organic chemistry - Can phenol be detected with a ceric ammonium nitrate test?


Today, I came across a question which asked name three reagents can be used for identification of phenol. The answer given was:





  1. Neutral $\ce{FeCl3}$

  2. $\ce{ NaNO2 +HCl}$

  3. $\ce {(NH4)2[Ce(NO3)6]}$.



I understand (1) and (2), but I am doubtful about CAN test (3). As far as I have studied in various books, it is used for testing presence of alcohol, and phenol is not alcohol.


Can phenol be detected with a ceric ammonium nitrate test?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...