Friday 18 September 2015

fourier transform - What is an Intuitive Explanation of the Phase of a Signal


I understand that the meaning of the phase response of a system is simply how much the system delays a frequency component. However, I do not find an intuitive explanation for the phase of a signal. The representation the Fourier transform of a signal by polar coordinates, produces two components; the magnitude and the phase. The magnitude response is simply how much each frequency component is contributing to this signal. However, what is the meaning of the phase here? Can I know if a frequency component is "exist" in the signal by just looking into the phase of a signal?


I found an explanation here:



determines how the sinusoids line up relative to one another to form a signal



But the did not help me.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...