Monday 28 September 2015

particle も - Combination of verb + ことも


In the following sentence:


知りたい こと も、後で ちゃんと 教えてあげる…


The first part: 知りたい こと, I understand as: what (you) want to know, because of -tai and koto combination.


The second part: 後で ちゃんと 教えてあげる…, means I think: (I) will properly inform (you) later.


The above seems to make sense when put together, but I think I'm not capturing the meaning of も. The first part seems like a noun and with a single も in the sentence my guess would be too/also.


Considering this, could the sentence be translated as: (It is) what (I) want to know too, (I) will properly inform (you) later.? Am I at least close?



Answer




As soon as I read your last sentence, I knew that you were overthinking. The sentence in question is much simpler than you seem to think both in structure and meaning.



「知{し}りたい こと 、後{あと}で ちゃんと 教{おし}えてあげる。」



The 「も」 simply suggests that there are other things (besides what the listener wants to know) that the speaker will be explaining/teaching for the listener later on.


In other words, 「も」 modifies 「教えてあげる」.


Your guess of 「も」 being "too/also" is correct, but the important thing is to know "what too", "also what", etc.


Unless this sentence appeared in a context/situation so unusual that I could not even have imagined, it would mean:



"I will surely teach (or "explain to") you the thing(s) you want(ed) to know and stuff (or "other things")."




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...