Tuesday 21 July 2015

hashkafah philosophy - How can I know a rav has daas Torah


I have been privileged to know rabbis of great wisdom and knowledge who could address my issues with unique and helpful insights through the prism of Torah. I always understood them to have "daas Torah." But in recent years, I find that many people who have been labled "Gedolei HaTorah" (Great leaders of the Torah community) -- leaders of yeshivos and charedi communities here and in Israel -- have been caught making decisions, pronouncements, bans, denouncements, and defenses of the indefensible -- that have neither helped their community nor the Jewish community at large, and, if anything, failed to carry through basic Torah principles more often than not because the rabbis relied on false information.


Based on sources, am I right for assuming that one does not have "daas Torah" simply because you head a yeshiva or sit on a council of "Gedolei HaTorah"? Is there a way to identify who does or does not possess this insight?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...