Sunday 26 July 2015

grammar - What does のに mean at the end of this sentence?



忘れてて良いのに




I understand this as: "You should forget about it"


But what does のに do?



Answer



のに is a conjunction that corresponds to "even though ~" or "despite ~".


(clause A)のに(clause B) = although A, B.


Unlike けど, it often (but not always) is followed by something regrettable/disappointing. Examples on JGram.


The latter clause is often omitted, and it implies the reality is something regrettable and contrary to the Clause A.


~のに。 = although ~, (something contrary), A, but..., I wish ~.


So 忘れてて良いのに means "You could have left it (although, in reality, you recalled and mentioned it)".



Examples:




  • こんなに美味しいのに。 It's really delicious (and I wonder why you don't want to eat it)!

  • そんなに賢いのに。 You are such a smart boy (and I don't understand why you did such a silly thing)!

  • もっと頑張れば良かったのに。 You should have worked harder.

  • 空を飛べたらいいのに。 I wish I could fly.



See also:




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...