Sunday 26 July 2015

translation - When I need to say "I develop software" in Japanese which verb is the appropriate one?


I want to say "I develop software" in Japanese so I thought that I should use the verb する. But I can also say "I write software" and use the verb かく. So which of the following sentences is the correct one/used the most?



ソフトエアをかく。==> I write software.


ソフトエアをする。==> I do (develop) software.




Similarly I thought that I can use the word source code/code in order to say "I code"/"I am coding":



ソズコードをかく。


ソズコードをする。



Which one of the above is the correct one?



Answer



As mentioned in the comment above, the more/most common way to say this is either





  • ソフト(ウエア)を開発しています → (lit.) I develop software
    or

  • ソフト開発をしています → I "do" software development



(notice the different placement of 開発).


Also, remember that you don't necessarily need a verb to get your point across. Depending on the context, you could simply say





  • (私は)ソフト開発者です → I'm a software developer



Then if your listener/audience doesn't know what all that entails, you can expound on it with specifics ("I write source code", "I create user documentation", etc.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...