Sunday 19 July 2015

gentiles - Teachings of Chabad (Lubavitch) - controversial or not?


I have been reading about Chabad Lubavitch and, since I have started to be in contact with a local group, I am in doubt about the Chabad messianism (belief of some adherents about the last Rebbe).


How is the Chabad viewed in the Orthodox community with regard to this, for example if one studies in a Chabad Yeshiva will the knowledge gained be valid from the point of view of other Orthodox communities?


Maybe there are comments on this is particular (different communities may have different views but I can read them all and see for myself)?



Maybe the question is irrelevant and all the Yeshivas the same because the texts are the same?


Or maybe this 'controversy' does not affect the teaching or status of Chabad since it is not all members of Chabad holding the belief and those who do, do not teach it to newcomers?



Answer



Being a follower of Chabad Lubavitch, I will approach this question from my perspective. It appears from your question that your primary concern with the Chabad philosophy is what you term "Chabad Messianism", and how that is perceived by other Orthodox groups. I am assuming you are referring to the belief that the Rebbe is Moshiach. I wish clarify from the start that it not my intent to debate this fact or not.


From my experience I have seen the vast majority of other Orthodox groups to be quite respectful and accepting of Chabad and consider us to be a branch of authentic Orthodox Judaism. There is always the radical vocal few that will dismiss us as Messianics, possibly without even taking the time to understand our view. Often there are other reasons behind the animosity and this is just used as an forum to argue.


[It is also important to note that is impossible to generalize that Chabad holds one way or another on this issue. I have personally encountered Lubavitchers, include Rabbonim with diverse views on the subject. Anyone who makes a blanket statement that Chabad holds x is simply wrong. Additionally it is important to remember that Chabad is an extremely inclusive group, and thus there is a very diversere group of people claiming to be Chabad. Also, those who subscribe to a more radical viewpoint are by nature more vocal so it is difficult for outsiders to hear the mainstream views.]


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...