Sunday 4 December 2016

halacha - Can one use a sinus rinse on Shabbat / Yom Tov?


This sinus rinse


This sinus rinse is manual. You fill the plastic bottle with water and add a small packet of saline powder and mix it. Then, you insert the bottle tip into your nostril and squeeze the bottle so that the water / saline mix goes up your nose and rinses out the mucus and other "junk". (Yes, it's quite uncomfortable, for a short while.)


I read somewhere, possibly Shmirat Shabbat K'Hilchato, that you are not allowed to squeeze non-food items on Shabbat, and there is a problem mixing / or dissolving non-food items, so I may not be allowed to use this. Am I wrong? Are there any possible halachic problems?


I gather that I can't tear the saline packet on Shabbat, but I can have it pre-torn before Shabbat.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...