Saturday 24 December 2016

word choice - What is the difference between 一緒【いっしょ】に and 二人 【ふたり】で?



I think in all situations where either 一緒に could be used, 二人で can also be used, and vice versa. I suppose 三人、四人、五人、etc. can also be used here if that's the number of people you are talking about.


But I'm curious as to the different connotations (if they exist) in these words/phrases.



Answer



As for connotations:



  • 一緒に行きませんか Would you like to join me/us (no information about how many we are)

  • 二人で行きませんか Let's go just the two of us (sounds a bit like you're inviting someone on a date)


I wouldn't use ○人で unless that exact number is important for some reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...