Sunday 18 December 2016

grammar - て used as "because"?


My (Japanese) friend gave me a suggested translation of this sentence:



普段ワインはなかなか飲まないのだけど、いろんな味、風味、渋味甘味が感じられて良き体験でした。


By no means do I usually drink wine but, it was a good experience because I drank various flavours, sweet/bitter flavours.




He told me he thought て was acting as なので. Is this the case?



Answer



Yes, te-form can often denote a reason or a cause, but it's not as explicit as ~なので or because in English. Most of the time, "AてB" is more naturally translated as "A, and B", "A, so B" rather than "Because A, B".


See this article: te-form (て-form) for Cause or Reason


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...