Tuesday 11 October 2016

words - How to say "for"


I will use a specific example. I was trying to write "My love for you is hurting me."


"私の愛ために貴方は私を傷つけている。" Is what I came up with, however, I am unsure about the usage of "ために" in this situation.


And if it is incorrect, what would be the correct way to say "for"?



Answer



Like user1205935 said, 私のあなたへの愛、 or あなたへの私の愛、 or あなたに対する私の愛 seems to be the translation. In my experience, things like "for you" get turned into statements of possession. The only other case I can think of is when thanking someone for something- you don't even use の, it just turns into 何何~ ありがとう。 為に is more along the lines of for the purpose, implying some end in mind- which in this case doesn't make sense.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...