Friday 21 October 2016

minhag - Blowing shofar at a wedding


Friends of mine are getting married this Sunday and asked me if I would blow shofar at the chuppah. I have been ba'al toke'a probably 2/3 of the years since my bar mitzvah (2002) in three different cities -- that is, I'm totally comfortable with what to do in the normal shofar environment.


But what am I supposed to do at a chuppah? They asked for teki'a gedolah "right before the processional starts, after the rabbi welcomes everyone."


But:



  • I really don't want to be the center of attention. This is their night. If they want shofar then fine, but I can go a good 45-50 seconds. Should I cut it short?


  • Is Ne'ilah (teki'a gedola only) a good parallel here? If not, should I convince them to go with a more standard teki'a-sh'varim-t'rua-teki'a (gedola) model?


In general: Have you heard or blown a shofar at a wedding? What notes was it? When was it? Did the ba'al toke'a cut it short so as not to steal the limelight?


Thanks!




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...