Friday 21 October 2016

terminology - What is the definition of of 'compound', 'mixture', 'element' and 'molecule'?


I am looking for the precise definitions, as I am very confused as to what they are exactly because although I mostly understand what they mean, I have encountered some conflicting definitions that confused me.


As it stands, this is what I understand them to mean:





  • Compound: two or more different atoms bonded together.

  • Mixture: two or more different atoms together but not joined.

  • Molecule: two particles (same or different) bonded together.

  • Element: only 1 type of atom; this definition is applied to things both bonded and not to itself.



I don't know whether these terms apply microscopically, macroscopically, or both. For example, I think 1 $\ce{H2O}$ molecule is a compound but is a bathtub of them called a mixture (as it contains more than 1 atom type), a compound, or both? That is, to be a compound, do all the atoms in the compound have to be bonded physically together? Generally, to what extent can these four terms overlap?


I would very much like a systematic way of thinking about these terms.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...