Monday 17 October 2016

grammar - Question about に and には in terms of emphasis


I read the post on here from 2011 about the difference between に and には, but I came back still a little confused (especially with all the non-layman grammar words like transitive/nominative/etc).



I have two examples and I think I know how to use には, but I'm wondering if someone could double-check or expand on the subject.



日本語はアメリカ人には難しいと思います。


I think Japanese is (more) difficult for Americans (as opposed to other nationalities).



So, in a way, I'm implying that I'm taking into consideration other nationalities compared to Americans in terms of English being difficult, putting emphasis that it is much harder for Americans compared to others.



日本語はアメリカ人に難しいと思います。


I think Japanese is difficult for Americans.




This would be just saying that Japanese is hard for Americans, not comparing it to any other country/nationality. So its implied I could also think Japanese is equally as hard for, say, Russian people and that Americans don't necessarily have a harder time.


What do you all think? Would love some feedback to properly understand には better.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...