Friday 9 September 2016

inorganic chemistry - Separating boric acid from sodium chloride


I want to create some boric acid with borax in the following reaction:


$$\ce{Na2B4O7·10H2O + 2 HCl → 4 BH3O3 + 2 NaCl + 5 H2O}$$


However as you can see, the leftover solution will contain a mixture of boric acid, sodium chloride and water. Both chemicals are soluble in cold water so neither will want to immediately crash out of solution.


My question is, how can I remove the excess water and sodium chloride to leave myself with some powdered/dry boric acid crystals?


I know I can probably just use some liquid ammonia, but then the boric acid is only slightly soluble in it leaving much of it behind. I could perhaps use glycerin also, however I am limited to how much I currently have.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...