Monday 3 October 2016

halacha - Why can a husband eat with his wife who is a niddah in public without a heker?


There are various harchakot (separations) that a husband and wife must observe when she is a niddah.


When I learned these halachot before I got married I learned that the husband and wife may not eat together when she is a niddah without setting some kind of object on the table to serve as a heker or reminder. I also learned that this rule only applies when the husband and wife are eating together privately but does not apply when other people are present. This book (written by someone I know and reviewed by R' Doniel Pransky, Rosh Kollel of the Atlanta Scholars Kollel [someone I trust]) confirms that exception.



My question is, why does this particular harchaka not apply in public? What is the difference between eating together without a reminder and all the other harchakot such as passing something from one spouse to the other (which we don't do even in public)?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...