Friday 9 September 2016

kana - What is the equivalent of "alphabetical order" in Japanese?


I know there's あいうえお, but what about at the consonant level? Also, are there any common mnemonics used by Japanese children to remember these?



Answer




Hiragana syllables are always schematised in a given order which is this one (from right to left, as you may already know):




HIRAGANA enter image description here




KATAKANA enter image description here




After a while I started Japanese, I also found this video, the Japanese Alphabet song (only for hiragana), that can be interesting for absolute beginners.


One of the best ways to remember Hiragana (and Katakana as well), in my opinion, is to write vocabulary words using Hiragana. It might seem banal, but it works.
After you master it, you can start learning Kanji to substitute the "hiragana word" with the appropriate Kanji. I remember I used to write them, some examples are:




  • しんせつ (kindness/gentleness which is 親切);

  • つくえ (desk/table which is 机);

  • やま (mountain which is 山).


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...