Friday 6 May 2016

inorganic chemistry - Why does the solubility of Group II hydroxides increase and the solubility of sulphates decrease down the group?


I know that, solubility of alkaline earth metal hydroxides increases down the group and solubility of alkaline earth metal sulfates decreases down the group.



I wish to understand the reason for these trends.



Answer



A few weeks ago I would have given the hard soft acid base theory (HSAB) explanation.


I have heard this "trend" explained in this way: Hydroxide is hard and sulfate is soft. So, the harder ions are, the more soluble with sulfate and less with hydroxide.


About a week ago I was playing around with some DH, lattice energy, and Ksp data and I found that barium seems to go against the "trend".


I found these posts that show that many of the "trends" we are taught in chem class aren't as trendy as we are told.


Look at this: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/inorganic/group2/solubility.html


Is this a homework question or a curiosity question? If the former, the "trend" isn't that trendy and the teacher should read the links above. If the latter, do you know that barium salts tend to go against the "trend"?


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...