Sunday 27 March 2016

fft - Removing noise from audio using Fourier transform in Matlab


I'm trying to remove noise from an audio file. This audio file contains speech as well as constant pink noise. I know that I have to use the Fourier transform to convert to the frequency domain then use a filter to filter out the frequencies of the pink noise, but I really don't know where to start with that. It also seems that the noise covers many more frequencies than the speech file (I have the speech and noise files separately) by looking at the plots in the frequency domain.



Doesn't that mean that if I filter out the frequencies of the noise it'll remove all the speech as well?


The plot of the speech audio in the frequency domain displays that the frequencies are mostly between -450 and 450.


The plot of the noise alone in the frequency domain displays that the frequencies are between -2000 and 2000. This clearly covers a much wider range of frequencies than the speech audio.


Does this mean I can't remove it from the noisy speech audio without removing the speech too? Or can I remove the frequencies outside of -450 and 450 and that would remove much of the noise? If so, how do I compute the range of frequencies instead of looking at plots myself to see the range?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...