Sunday 29 May 2016

pronunciation - When does /r/ become a trill?



In a video that snailboat pointed out in a comment on my question about geminated /r/, at least one speaker of Japanese sounds to me like they trill both the /r/s in タリアテッレ.


It's my understanding that, most of the time, /r/ in Japanese is a flap that freely varies between central and lateral (cf. the answer to R sound vs L sound). For /r/ to transform into a trill, then, is really quite surprising.



In what contexts (social, dialectal, grammatical, whatever) does /r/ become a trill?



I know that /r/ manifests as a trill (巻き舌) in yakuza speech (cf. What are the stereotypical characteristics of yakuza speech?); where else do we find trilled /r/?


(Note: I may just be mishearing the speaker in the Youtube video linked above; if so, just ignore that part. Either way, my question about trilled /r/ in Japanese remains.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...