Tuesday 24 May 2016

meaning - Why is coffee with shochu or awamori called コーヒー割 {わ}り "split / divided coffee"?


About five nights ago I went out with a local friend to a traditional Okinawan club in Naha.


We were of course drinking 泡盛{あわもり} (awamori) with water and ice.


But the girl working there had a drink with us and poured in a bit of a can of coffee into her awamori.


Tonight I'm trying it myself in the guesthouse after asking the owner if it's a normal thing here and not just a peculiarity of that girl in the club.


He tells me it is popular in Okinawa and called コーヒー割{わ}り (kōhī-wari). Indeed I get Google hits and it seems the same is done with condensed milk in place of the coffee and/or 焼酎{しょうちゅう} (shochu) in place of the awamori.



None of the hits were in English or if they were don't provide much information. There's nothing in Wikipedia or WWWJDIC.


I don't understand why the name uses ~割り which seems to mean "split" or "divide"? This makes it sound like the coffee is "cut" or watered down with the spirits.


What am I missing? Could it be one of those Japanese abbreviations where half a word is missing?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...