Saturday 28 May 2016

spectroscopy - What is an exocyclic double bond?


I have been tasked to find the $\lambda_{\text{max}}$ of 3,4-dimethyl-1,2,3,4,4a,5-hexahydronaphthalene.


enter image description here


This was supposed to be fairly easy. I used the base value for homoannular diene ($\pu{253 nm}$) and added the increments for the three ring residues attached to the diene ($\pu{+(3\times 5) = +15 nm}$). This should get me a value of $\lambda_{\text{max}}=\pu{268 nm}$. However, checking the solution this question, they have also added the increment for an exocyclic double bond, and have got the answer to be $\pu{273 nm}$ instead.


As far as I know, an exocyclic double bond means exo+cyclic, where exo means "outside" and cyclic means, well "cyclic", or more simply, a double bond that is outside the ring. I'm looking at this compound, and I dont see any exocyclic double bond at all.


Am I dealing with a key mistake here or is there something that I'm not aware of?



Answer



Surely you are aware that the calculation of this sort is but a very rough estimate, yet still I feel the urge to stress that once more. Having said that, let's look at the double bond in the first cycle: isn't it exocyclic with respect to the other cycle?



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...