Monday 23 May 2016

questions - Comparison of 4 different ways to ask something


I'd like to understand the nuance differences between the following three ways to ask a question. Let's say I am with a friend and thinking of going of the beach. I can ask the following 4 ways.




  1. 海へ行く? [Standard way to make a suggestion]

  2. 海へ行かない? [Similar to the above but feels more aggressive]

  3. 海へ行こう? [Not sure if this is natural with a question mark. Removing the question mark turns this mostly into a statement which is somewhat forceful, though it would depend on tone of voice]

  4. 海へ行きたい? [This feels a bit too direct and not sure if it would be actually used in Japanese, or maybe only among close friends]




Above each I've written my comments about each of these, but they are just my intuitive guesses.


If someone can tell me if I am on the right track and provide any more details on the differences between these, I'd appreciate it.    




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...