Wednesday 25 May 2016

grammar - What is "masu-stem + ざま"?


Here is a part of a sentence from my book:



・・・・手裏剣をよけざま・・・・



I can't find any help in any of my references on the pattern of "masu-stem + ざま", which makes me hesitant to say that's exactly what it is, but I also can't figure out anything else it could be. From what it looks like to me it says "(he) dodged the shuriken", and I want to say that that "ざま" is 様, meaning "state" (and without the kanji I'm assuming it's "よけ" as in the masu-stem of "避ける" meaning "to avoid").


Am I right about the formation of this phrase? Can anyone add/correct anything?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...