Saturday 21 May 2016

inorganic chemistry - What exactly happened when I added KOH to hydrogen peroxide?


I recently added a potassium hydroxide, $\ce{KOH}$, pellet to a small droplet of hydrogen peroxide (30 %), $\ce{H2O2}$. You could clearly see the potassium hydroxide dissolving in the droplet when instantaneously the solutions began to fizz strongly (boil and/or release oxygen gas, I'm not sure) and release a lot of heat.


I'm not sure what happened, but I've got a few ideas of what might have happened:



  • There is some kind of reaction between the $\ce{KOH}$ and $\ce{H2O2}$.

  • The $\ce{KOH}$ released a lot of energy when dissociating into the aqueous solution and then boiled the water, maybe reaching the temperature of 150.2 °C in which it also triggered the decomposition of $\ce{H2O2}$ into water and oxygen gas.


  • On Wikipedia I read:



    The rate of decomposition increases with rising temperature, concentration and pH.




    So when $\ce{KOH}$ is dissolved, the solution has a high pH and this might trigger the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide




I did notice after a pH test that the plastic lid on which I had condensed some of the evaporated water had a very high pH, so this would most likely contain some dissolved potassium hydroxide.


In case a reaction happened, what could that specific reaction be?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...