Thursday 12 May 2016

grammar - About ...ほど constructions


Here, I already asked about a sentence containing a ほど construction, and chocolate was so kind to give me a nice, comprehensive answer :=) ("Issues with this sentence")


However, a follow up question came to my mind now, which might even sound a bit silly:
In my textbook, ほど constructions are always used in that way:



インフルエンザの予防注射は思っていたほど痛くなかったです。
Concerning the Influenza immunisation, it didn't hurt to the extent that I thought.




The keypoint: After ほど, a negation follows. And it's always like that in my textbook. "it didn't...to the extent..."


Is it possible for ほど constructions to be followed by a positive statement as well? Like: "Concerning the influenza immunisation, it did hurt to the extent that I thought"? Or are other constructions used for this kind of statement?



Answer



Yes ほど can be safely used in positive sentences, but it means something more like "to the point where ~" or "so ~ that ~".


Examples:




  • 目に見えるほど大きい。 It is big enough to be visible to the eye.

  • びっくりするほど高かった。 It was surprisingly expensive.


  • 眠れないほど嬉しいです。 I am too happy to sleep.

  • インフルエンザの予防接種は泣き叫ぶほど痛かった。
    The flu shot was so painful that I (almost) cried.



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...