Saturday 3 October 2015

grammar - 送ってくれた : Why is both "sending" and "giving" being used together here?


I encountered the sentence:




両親が私にはがきを送ってくれた。



I understand that: 送って translates to a verb meaning "to send", or I assume in this case "sending" due to the "te-form" being used.


I also understand that: くれた translates to a verb meaning "to give (to be given)"


So a literal translation of 両親が私にはがきを送ってくれた would mean:



My parents, to me, a postcard, Sending and given.



or..




My parents sent and gave me a postcard.



So I don't quite understand why you must say "they sent and gave me a postcard" instead of just "they sent me a postcard". For example



両親が私にはがきを送った。



Is there a grammatical/logical explanation for this? Or is this simply just how it's done for no reason?




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...