Thursday 29 October 2015

bond - Can I perform electrolysis without electrolyte? (with distilled water)


When performing electrolysis at home, I usually used salt water as electrolyte. The problem is, that this method also produces chlorine and chlorine is aggressive to both humans and electrical equipment.


I was thinking of creating pure hydrogen and oxygen by using distilled water. I was taught that water is not conductive.


But since water has "positive" and "negative" part (which allows for it to dissolve polar bonds, doesn't it?). Couldn't I just tear the molecules apart if I use electrical field strong enough? If I can, how high the voltage must be?



Answer




If I can, how high the voltage must be?




Not possible at home.


For obtaining pure hydrogen and oxygen it is still required to use an electrolyte. However, there is some amount of them that are not electrolyzed, allowing to electrolyze only water. I'd try sodium/potassium hydroxide or sulfate.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...