Friday 30 October 2015

grammar - Joining adjectives with し before a noun



A recent question asked about joining two adjectives together. It used the following example:



(example 1) きれい静か



As I understand it, this is the combination of the 連用形 of きれいだ with the 連体形 of 静かだ. Let's turn this example into 終止形 instead of 連体形 for my question:



(example 2) 町はきれい静か



According to this answer, you can also join two adjectives with . In this case, I would replace with and add :




(example 3) 町はきれいだし静か



I think this means the same thing as example 2. (According to sawa's answer here, the て-form has two restrictions, "it implies temporal order" and "volitionality of what is connected must match". Neither restriction sounds relevant in this case, so I don't think replacing with だし changes the meaning.)


However, what if I were to change it back to 連体形 like in example 1? Can I join two adjectives with し like this:



(example 4) きれいだし静か



I feel like example 4 is wrong because it parses as two separate clauses, like きれいだ plus 静かな町, which doesn't make sense to me. In contrast, I think example 1 is parsed as きれいで静かな modifying , which does make sense to me.


Am I correct that you can't join adjectives with し before a noun like in example 4?



Answer




Strictly speaking し is better used in its full form ~し~し. E.g.



この町は美しいし静かだし、住みやすそうですね。
This town is pretty, it is quiet—it seems to be very liveable.



(It does occur by itself, but a longer list is usually implied. There are other uses that derive from this one, but that is a different matter.)


It lists any number of properties, which support your statement in the rest of the sentence. The list, however, is grammatically removed from the rest of the sentence. That is, the result can't modify anything (na-adjective, noun) directly. Your examples 3 & 4 are borderline. They would sound more natural with a structure ~し~し like my example above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...