Friday 30 October 2015

verbs - Is 「たくなった」 a typo or a grammatical structure that is different than I think it is?


I have this sentence in my JLPT exercise book:



彼{かれ}は有名人{ゆうめいじん}ゆえの不自由{ふじゆう}さから逃{に}げたくなった。



The translation offered is:




He wanted to get away from the difficulties of being a celebrity.



What is throwing me is the 逃{に}げたくなった part. It seems to me that the past tense form of "wanted to get away" should be 逃{に}げたかった, and the past tense form of "did not want to get away" should be 逃{に}げたくなかった. I feel the English translation probably represents the intended meaning, because it would be weird to not want to get away from difficulties, but on the other hand my own translation of the original Japanese is something along the lines that he did not want to escape.


So what is 逃{に}げたくなった? Am I wrong about the verb forms I think it should be, or is something else going on here?



Answer



逃げたくなった is:



  • 逃げる = "to flee", in its stem form (連用形) → 逃げ

  • ~たい = the suffix that expresses wanting to do, conjugated to ~たく (again, the 連用形)

  • なる = "to become", in past tense → なった



So this means something to the effect of "it became the case that he wanted to get away".


For the sentence as a whole, I would offer a translation like "he began to want to get away from the difficulties of being a celebrity".


For "he did not want to get away", you would indeed use 逃げたくなった.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...