Sunday 25 October 2015

grammar - What is the し particle and how do you use it?


I understand that obviously every Japanese textbook will go into this topic briefly... but I can never really come to grips with what it means in Japanese. If anyone could link me to a good Japanese dictionary entry about it that would be great (I can't find a good one that explains it)


I am interested in the し particle as used below... 歯は痛いし、歯医者には行きたくないし、困ったよ。



I was wondering if the し particle had anything to do with する/しか/しも.


職場は失うし、妻とは別れるし(で)、彼はひどく元気がない。 Here, it seems like し seems to turn the reasons into some sort of noun phrase because the author has stated you can use で with them.


Knowing the essential underlying meanings behind ので and から helps me to unconsciously decide between them... I kinda have no idea how to do the same with し so... Can anyone enlighten me or link me to somewhere where I could be enlightened on the matter?



Answer



し is used here to create a list, and I'd translate your example sentence as "My tooth hurts, I don't want to go to the dentist... it sucks." (lit: "I'm troubled")


It's sort of like や in that it creates a list, but as I'm thinking about it, し is used more for a list of reasons that culminate in a conclusion stated later in the sentence. I might describe my girlfriend as follows: 頭がいいし、かわいいし、日本語を勉強するし、お互いに話しやすいし、本当に好きだよ。


Here, I'm listing out various reasons I like her. In your example, you're listing out reasons that you're troubled. Hope that helps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...