Wednesday 11 May 2016

rabbis - I suspect I must do something, but don't want to. Must I check into the halacha?


I'm sometimes in a situation where, if I do nothing, I'll benefit. But I suspect Jewish law may actually require me to take action that will prevent the benefit.


I'm not sure if I should ask my rabbi for guidance, or if I should just ignore my conscience. What halachic considerations should I keep in mind here?





See also Why is it necessary to ask a Rabbi?—but note this. Most halachic conundrums are about whether doing something is allowed. Here, my conundrum is about whether doing nothing is allowed.



Answer



If it's required, and you don't ask, then it remains required. You just won't know it. So, to avoid transgressing from lack of knowledge, ask your rabbi.


But if you won't do the thing anyway, don't ask. Getting and ignoring a ruling is a very bad idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...