Wednesday 18 May 2016

Explanation of the expression 気が済まない



A: 百均に入ると、何もいらなくても何か買わないと気が済まない人っているんだよね。


B: いるいる。僕だよ。


A: At the dollar store, there is always somebody who has to buy something even if they don't need it.


B: Yes, yes! That's me.




I am told that 気が済まない means "won't be satisfied unless," or when one "must (do something)."


If I translate the expression literally I get confused--


気 spirit/mood/feeling



済まない finish;  come to an end;  excusable;  need not


Would anyone be kind enough to give me a clear and thorough explanation of this expression? I think my main confusion is as to which verb 済まない comes from.



Answer



sum-u has several meanings. The core meaning is for something to to come to an end, conclude. From this, it also takes on the meaning for something to be settled, at rest, or under control (as a result of something being concluded). Putting this together, ki ga sum-u is "for ones feelings to be at rest / under control", hence content. The negative form, ki ga sum-a-nai, is "for ones feelings to not be at rest / under control", hence not-content.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...