Friday 4 December 2015

words - Meaning of My担当氏


I learnt from this answer that 担当さん is a common Japanese expression to address someone working with/for you. Does the presence of My and add a more specific meaning? The context is a letter from a mangaka to her fans:



My担当氏とお誕生日が近いという事で、2人でバースデイパーティーを開きました✨



Considering they are having a party alone and that she later says she received a heart-shaped cake as a present, it could be his boyfriend, but I don't think that's the meaning of My担当氏. Since the letter was handwritten, here's the original to check if I read the characters right. Thank you for your help!



Answer




氏 is generally more formal (and thus less friendly) than さん, but in this case I don't feel she chose 氏 to show her respect or psychological distance. 氏 is just another common name suffix in this situation. This may or may not be related, but stereotyped hardcore otaku address everyone using 氏 and it actually is a friendly yet respectful suffix like くん/さん to them.


The use of My is hard to explain since it's not standard nor common at all. Maybe she just wanted to decorate 担当さん with My to make it a bit more eccentric, cute, or whatever. It does not alter the basic meaning of the sentence.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...