Wednesday 30 December 2015

grammar - Using も in place of を


I'm currently trying to get back into studying Japanese. I want to take the JLPT N3 this summer. To get myself in the mode for this I am first looking at the N4 tests on the JLPT website.


The reading parts and kanji comprehension are no challenge for me. I can get through the vast majority of that without trouble and where I do slip up I can understand why.


Grammar however...grammar is the devil.



One of the supposedly easiest questions on the test is as follows-



わたしの父は中国語も英語x話せます



My instinct was for the answer to be を. も means in addition, so you have to have an actual action for the も to be in addition to, right?


No. It turns out the answer is も. I fail and I don't understand the reasons. Can anyone explain why in this context を is incorrect and も is right?


It is a bit of an unusual sentence and a break from textbook patterns of the additional も. The way I'm used to is one person says I like y/I come from z, and the other person says 私も. Its not a particle I generally see used too often in this also sense, where I see it its usually as a negative. To have the も come first like this confuses me.



Answer




わたしの父は中国語も英語も話せます。

My father can speak both Chinese and English.



~も~も is how you say "both ... and ..." in Japanese. It works with all particles, as も does by itself, i.e. usually replaces は, が, を and follows へ, に, etc.


It also works with more than two も's, e.g.



わたしの父は中国語も英語もドイツ語も話せます。
My father can speak (all of) Chinese, English and German.



The point is that everything in the list is marked by も. If you said




わたしの父は中国語も英語を話せます。



it just sounds wrong, but if it means anything, one would have to assume that も replaces が, which would give



As for my father, his Chinese can also speak English.



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...