Monday 28 December 2015

translation - Non conventional usage of the past tense


Why is the past tense used in this verbs (which doesn't make sense to me at least)



生きてい…?違うな…死ねなかったのだよ…!


再生機能を持っこのアーマーに押し込みおった



and the translation uses present tense




Survive? That's easy... Because I can't die!


And switched my body for this armor with the power to rejuvenate me



Does it make sense to use the past tense? or it's just how the character talks?



Answer



Finally I found an explanation that possibly answers at least your original question. This usage of "past tense" is called 発見の「た」 (ta for discovery) or ムードの「た」 (modal ta).


Most articles about this are written in Japanese, but here's an article written in English: Another Function of the Ta-form: Discovery and Recall


In a nutshell, my understanding is that た/だ, typically after ある/いる/ない, can sometimes express the nuance of "I've noticed ...", "I've just recalled ..." or "(In spite of one's prevoius knowledge/belief,) the fact is...". It actually refers to something in the present.





  • へえ、君はフランス語が読めんですね。
    Wow, you can read French! (although I have thought you can't)

  • (after looking for a wallet for a while) あっ、財布、こんなところにあっのか!
    Oh! There it is, my wallet!

  • そうでし、明日は休みでし。今思い出しました。
    Yeah, that is right, I have the day off tomorrow. I've just recalled that.

  • (after trying to open a door) おっと、鍵がかかって
    Oops, the door is locked.




As you can see, "fixing (or updating) one's previous knowledge/expectation" seems to be the key here. So saying 「お前、生きていたのか!」 is okay because he has believed the opponent in front of him is dead.


References (These are very long articles and I haven't read them all):



Related question:



No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...