Sunday 4 October 2015

Which anti aliasing filter algorithm for efficient audio resampling?



I'm building a real-time audio resampler (think pitch bend) that needs to have a several different performance vs quality configuration options. I understand that I'll need to apply a low-pass filter before resampling in order to avoid aliasing.


The requirements for the first filter are this:



  • very efficient

  • better than nothing


For this filter, I don't mind if I have a very slow roll-off, or if there's significant phase distortion. I just want it to be as fast as possible, and to attenuate frequencies above nyquist to some degree.


The requirements for the second filter are:



  • reasonably efficient


  • significant reduction in frequencies above nyquist


I'm guessing that I'll want to go with one of the classic algorithms I hear about for the second filter (chebyshev, butterworth), and potentially something like a recursive moving average filter for the first.


I realize my question may so vague as to be useless ("very efficient" and "reasonably efficient" are obviously relative terms!) I realize that filter selection and design is an art that one can spend a lifetime on. I'm quite inexperienced with DSP and am just looking for a couple algorithms I can get my hands dirty with. I'm hoping someone with audio experience can pip up and say "here are my general purpose, go-to algorithms for efficient lowpass filtering".




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...