Saturday 3 October 2015

halacha - While playing a computer game, may I "worship" one of the game's "gods" to help me win?


I sometimes play a certain computer role-playing game (RPG). In this game, my character (whom I might name after myself but who does not otherwise resemble me) fights mythological creatures and collects handy items. In the end, I aim to have my character retrieve a powerful treasure from the place where it is kept.


If I choose, my character can choose to worship one of 18 available "gods". If my character kneels at an altar, prays to it, or sacrifices creatures, then the "god" I choose might give my character special abilities or better items.




  1. I wonder if I may cause my character to worship a "god" while playing this computer game. What do you suspect is the answer?





  2. What if I modify the source code of the game and rename all the "gods" to "Hashem"?




CYLOR.


You may answer using logic. But please base your logic on rabbinic sources you've read or heard from. And please cite your sources.



Answer



I asked my local Orthodox rabbi: the (Chareidi) morah d'asrah of a mid-sized Orthodox shul in a North American city of about three million people. He prefers that I not specify his name here. He told me:




  1. It's crucial not to let your character do anything in the game that smacks of idolatry, such as praying to the virtual "gods" in the game. Playing the game in general is like playing with fire. Perhaps the game was created by pagans.





  2. As for the second question: Don't bring Hashem into this.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...