Sunday 11 October 2015

Can the honorific お be used with a person's name?


I have seen the honorific used in front of nouns and was wondering if it can be used in front of a person's name. Thank you.



Answer



Yes, it can certainly be. Don't just take my word for it; Look it up in a dictionary, preferably a monolingual one, yourself. For instance, デジタル大辞泉 gives the definition:




2 女性{じょせい}の名{な}に付{つ}いて、尊敬{そんけい}、親{した}しみの意{い}を表{あらわ}す。



My translation of that would be:



"Attached to feminine names, it expresses respect and/or intimacy"



おしん, the TV drama became popular around the world so it needs no introduction. The heroine's name is しん, so that お is the honorific.


Next, let me introduce my neighbor お珠{たま}さん, whose real given name is 珠子{たまこ}.


Finally, here is the well-known song called おゆき.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3f3dEPn8nk


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...