Tuesday 14 April 2015

translation - What does っていうんだ mean?


I came across the following sentence:



僕が何を怖がるっていうんだ?



which was translated as "What am I supposed to be frightened of?"



I know that the first part means "what am I afraid of?"


I just can't see how adding that っていうんだ could change the meaning in that way.


I'm assuming that it's the same as というんだ but I still can't figure out how it affects the meaning of the sentence.


Could it be a mistranslation on the author's part?



Answer




僕が何を怖がるっていうんだ?



It's a rhetorical question (修辞疑問文/反語表現). It's not really a normal question that asks for an answer/reply. It means/implies "What would I be afraid of? -- No, I would be afraid of nothing!"


Examples:





  • 誰が知っているというのか。
    "Who knows? (Nobody knows.)"

  • どうすれば忘れられるというのか。
    "How could I forget? (I could never forget.)"

  • それがどうしたっていうんだ。*
    "What would it matter? (It doesn't matter!)"

  • やつらが金以外のなにを欲しがるというんだ?* 
    "What do they care for but money? (They only care for money!)"




The latter two examples are taken from Weblio例文辞典.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...