Tuesday 21 April 2015

tanach - From the Torah itself how do we know that various names of God points to the same God?


Jews believe that God, while having many names, is actually one.


So the idea is that El Elyon, Elohim, El Shadai, YHWH, Adonai, El, are just names mostly referring to the same being.


Is there any verses in the Torah that makes it clear, that all those are just names of the same God, instead of names of different gods?


Shema comes close to this, but one could argue that the Shema speaks of a new god. Then there are things like YHWH telling Moshe that he used to be known by a different name and now want to be known as YHWH.


These verses are intriguing but leave me with questions. I'm looking for a verse (or several verses) that gives a really strong proof.



Answer




I don't think it's a problem. Not to be presumptuous, but I too am one and yet I have many names. My mother called me Myron, my Gramma called me Myronu, my best friend called me Myr, my sergeant called me Private, my clients call me Mr. "Green", friends call me Meir or Pal, my nephew calls me Uncle Meir, strangers call my Buddy, and my boss calls me "Hey, you".


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...