Saturday 25 April 2015

organic chemistry - Boiling point of vodka


What is the boiling point of vodka?


I have found the boiling point of ethanol, ~173 (degrees) F.


However, I am unable to find the boiling point of vodka. I found some information on it, but I do not trust the source.



Answer



Vodka is a solution of water and ethanol.



  • Water boils at 100 °C

  • Ethanol boils at 78.37 °C



A mixture of both liquids will start boiling close to the boiling point of ethanol (otherwise distillation wouldn't work).


The lowest boiling temperature is a mixture of:



  • 95.63 mass-% ethanol

  • 4.37 mass-% water


which boils at 78.2 °C.


Read more about this effect at: Azeotrope There is also a picture of a phase diagram there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...