Sunday 26 April 2015

names - 孫悟飯 - Songohan, why non-Japanese say it comes from "gohan = meal/cooked rice"?



As a French I've always heard that Songohan's name comes from gohan meaning meal/cooked rice. The English Wiki says the same and even mentions ご飯.


But I don't understand why, since the names in the family are like this:




  • 孫悟空 Songokū




  • 孫悟飯 Songohan





  • 孫悟天 Songoten




So it seems only the last kanji changes between the characters, and since 飯 alone already means meal/cooked rice, and 悟飯 alone doesn't mean anything, why do we focus on gohan and not only han to explain the name of the character?




EDIT: after reading your answers, I realized my mistake was to read 飯 alone as han. That's why I didn't understand people saying "the name means meal because of go + han" since to me han alone already meant meal.


I'm sure noone understands what I mean but thank you, it's clear now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...