Sunday 26 April 2015

grammar - Unsure about this usage of か


I recently encountered this sentence:




床には血痕が残っている。かなり時間が経つのか血が固まっている。



I believe I understand that the second part is saying the blood is dry (or has hardened) because quite some time has passed. I'm not sure what the か after 経つの is doing -- is the speaker not quite sure if that's the right explanation (something like, "The blood has hardened, perhaps because a lot of time has passed")?



Answer



Your explanation is right.


The speaker is not quite sure if that's the right explanation (something like, "The blood has hardened, perhaps because a lot of time has passed").


The grammar you are looking for is defined in this page, which says:



疑いの気持ちで推定する意を表す




No comments:

Post a Comment

readings - Appending 内 to a company name is read ない or うち?

For example, if I say マイクロソフト内のパートナーシップは強いです, is the 内 here read as うち or ない? Answer 「内」 in the form: 「Proper Noun + 内」 is always read 「ない...